Sunday, January 1, 2012

Germany week 19: Back in Germany--Happy New Year 2012


Germany week 19: Back in Germany--Happy New Year 2012!!!!
Dear all:
It was so great being home.  See Dad and sister Judi pic below. I got to do some of my traditions after like Christmas sales where I didn’t buy a whole lot since I did not get a chance to get out any of my Christmas stuff from the year before, but of course I did manage to get a few things. Lol  My family went to see Sherlock on Christmas day and Amanda and I went to Mission Impossible so I got to catch up with some movies, too.  It was fun.
I got my dog a haircut (See pic below) so she could be a little more groomed then bought her some sweaters to keep her warm during the winter months.  We watched the Florida State Seminole game against Notre Dame and was thrilled that we came out a winner.
We ended up flying out Friday which put us in Munich on Saturday December 31. Our flight was a bear but I caught up some more with movies watching 3 on the flight- it makes the time go faster.  A small world moment in the Amsterdam airport as we saw and talked with  a girl from Wakulla.  She said, “Go Noles!” after noticing Gregg’s FSU jacket.  Pretty cool, huh?
We took a train to our car from Munich and got on a train car with about 20 or so college students who were going to party all night on the train they were heading to Prague.  (See pic below) They expected to get there around 3am and they were going to stay up all night and leave the next day at 9am.  Oh to be young. But their excitement was contagious and we felt after the hour with them on the train that we had had our New Year’s Eve party.  They loved that we were real Americans.  Lol
We got home last night and the ground was covered with snow and stayed up till midnight then the real fun started.  Outside on our porch we watched a fireworks show that rivaled Tom Brown Park. (See pic below) A lot of houses shot off massive fireworks for about 30 minutes.  We cheered our neighbors and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It is weird with so many rules here.  They seem to turn their head about fireworks rules. Lol  We got up this morning and  of course we brought back the warmth it was green grass all of the snow melted and it was downright warm about 53 degrees today. But let me tell you all of the trash was cleaned up today. These Germans are serious about getting rid of their trash. 
We went to the post today to get my mail and to get some milk from the little PX.  I couldn’t hold that for two weeks.  We ate at the dining hall but obviously they did not know about the black eyed peas and greens tradition since they had none of that.  But no worries since Gregg made us black eyed peas, greens, rice and hoecake for New Year’s so we wish you all a great new year.  We are continuing on our European adventure through 2012.
Happy 2012 to all and hope it will bring you great happiness, good health, positive luck and may all of your wishes come true.  I feel very blessed.  With that, I will close.
Hugs from Germany,
Susan







No comments:

Post a Comment