Sunday, January 29, 2012

Germany-- Week 23 Fun in the snow, mail box problems and gas rations


Germany-- Week 23  Fun in the snow, mail box problems and gas rations
Dear all:
This week started off with Gregg repeatedly saying he could not open the mail box.  He just couldn’t get it open.  This has gone on for months.  I gave him the combination and every time he would pick me up at school unsuccessful. Checking the mail got to be a real problem as I worked and did practice after school so I didn’t always want to have to go and get the mail.  Finally I went with him to the mail box.  As I did the combination he was constantly saying yes that is how I do it but it doesn’t work.  Finally I opened the mail box and he looked at me dead pan and said and I quote.  “You have to turn the button to open it. “  Yes he had been trying to pull it open for months.  Go figure!  LOL
Another issue was gas.  Since we are making four trips to and from work as Gregg beings me and comes home and comes back to pick me up and we went to Luxembourg this month we ran out of our gas rations.  We have been told that we can ask to get it upped since we are using most of it for to and from work so we will check into that next week.  That doesn’t mean that we get no gas we just have to pay those astronomical prices that the Europeans pay.  YUK!!  Anyway there are some rations for a few things over here like coffee, tobacco and liquor. 
We did not have internet for two days and someone told us to unhook and hook the router back up—this worked for a couple of hours then it went out again.  So I spent 3 hours on the phone with the internet people trying to figure out how to get it hooked back up. This was comical as I would get on the phone and the computer would talk German so I would just hit 0 until I got a person then just said English till someone who could speak English came on.  Anyway after about 10 lost or disconnected calls I finally got a lady who had to translate to the technician.  But between about six of us we got the router re configured by me trying to read to them in German from my screen what it said.  It was hilarious. But in the end success and we all cheered.
After that we went to the Kontackt club dinner.  It is a club in which German and Americans get together and they travel some and try to learn about each others’ culture.  I have to admit it was great fun and delicious.
We had no snow at the beginning of the week although Gregg got out and made a snow ball and hit it like a golf ball, see picture number 1. But Friday night we had snow again and yes it was different kind of snow.  This snow is like powdered sugar so I will call it floating snow.  The problem is that it does not stick together so no matter how hard we tried we could not get it to roll to make a snow man.  We walked around the neighborhood and I got some pictures-- note the picture of the yellow church that is right down from our house-. Picture of snow shoveling, skiing,  hoards of firewood, etc. We had some neighbor kids out skiing and sledding down the hills around our house.  So we got out and came down the hill by our house in  our blow up snow tube.  We figured this we could handle.  We were also able to make snow angels.  It was loads of fun.  We sure had to get bundled up – I even wore long johns.  Lol
Saturday we also went to Neumarkt again and I took some pictures of the church there.  The last picture is a building in the town next to us- Velburg.
With that I will close for this week- planning on a lazy day.
Hugs from Germany and  have a great week,
Susan

















No comments:

Post a Comment