Sunday, September 18, 2011

Week 4 Oktoberfest

Week Four

Hello from Germany,

I started the week out with Zumba.  I went twice and then to spinning.  I need to since these croissants with the Nutella are just so good.  Lol    I am trying to collect up some 220 appliances and some things they tell me will have to be bought on the “economy”  that means in the German stores so I will have to check that out and write you about that.
It got cold here a couple of mornings down to 40 but it warmed up to 70ish during the day.  It gave me a good excuse to buy some of my high school jackets and such.  We had our open house this week and it was great.  Everyone came and was very interested in their children.  I loved it.  I had one parent who sat there just staring at me as I went through my little spill about my class.  When I finished he just looked at me and said, “Where are you from?”  I told him Florida and he replied that I had "some accent.” This of course is true.

The big thrill for everyone here is to go to the post office.  If you have a package then you get a ticket.  They call it the golden tickets.  Kind of like Charlie and his Chocolate factory. I haven't gotten a golden ticket yet.  Maybe I need to order something. lol
Friday, I got to watch a couple of shows. Because our time is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Time the shows are shown the next night.  I did go and sign us up for our internet and phone for our house but the television has so many choices I’m going to let Gregg do that when he gets here which is Wednesday Yea!!

Saturday I went to Oktoberfest.  The bus ride was a hoot.  It seems that everybody was going. As a matter of fact in the bus parking lot there were 8 buses full of people from Australia.  I’ve never seen so many drunken people in all of my life.  If you look at the pictures below the women were all dressed in the dirndls and I had to buy two.  So I will take a picture in mine at some point.  The guys were all dressed in leather pants with checked shirts.  You can see them the guys in the first picture and the girls in the second.  The police were having a good time too.  There were fights and a couple of arrests.  I posted a few flashes of the parade and entering so you could see how it was.  I walked the streets and went into a couple of churches that were magnificent.  There churches are so elaborate it is unreal.  I went to the shopping mall and used their subway system which is very similar to New York.  The mall was huge.  I then went on a sightseeing trip and they took us by a lot of their buildings, it always amazes me how young America really is when I see these building that were built way before America was discovered. They described their time from WW2 as a dark time in their history but did show a lot of Hitler’s offices and places that historical things had taken place. Munich was a very friendly city and I of course helped their economy by buying steins and t shirts and souvenirs including the keg hat that I have on in one of the pictures. 

One of the things I remember about visiting Europe when I was younger is that you had to pay to pee.  So yesterday I paid to pee about everywhere I went.  But at least it is all on one system the euro and not all the different ones.

Oktoberfest is a huge parade and a grand fair complete with rides.  There are beer gardens all over and everyone drinks a lot.  It was a fun time. The bus area was entertaining as it rained and people were throwing off clothes down to underwear and running around.  It was just one big party.

So that was my week four.  Hope you had a great week.

Hugs from Germany,

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment