Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week 3 Germany


Hello all

Third week in Germany and I finally passed the dreaded German driver’s license test-  I got a 80 on it the first time I took it  (you have to make a 85 or better) but I passed with flying colors the second time.  In my defense, I didn’t have the book the first time and I didn’t know the German words for one way, detour for the signs and such.  Okay,it’s a tough test.
So how did I celebrate I bought a “baby car”—it’s a Ford Fiat KA the smallest little thing I’ve ever seen.  It’s a 5 speed- but because I’ve just driven it on base I haven’t got it out of 3rd gear yet- the top speed limit on base is 50 kilometers which I found out an easy way to convert (thanks to my driver’s test ) is to multiply the speed limit by 6 and drop the last zero  so that would be 30 miles per hour.  See the picture it looks very small compared to the van.  They call them hoopties here.  That is a car to get by until your car is shipped from the states-  I didn’t pay much for it, as a matter of fact what I paid for it would be equal to 2 months of a rental car- so I justified it if my “baby car” lasts two months I’m money ahead or at least I've broken even. They have a car lot here that people put their cars on so other people can buy them.  I bought mine from a soldier who is going back to the states and has two real babies and the baby car is just too small he got a bigger car to ship back. Plus this is a European car with kilometers and such. It's a pretty cool little car.

I went and got me and Gregg ( for when he gets here so we can call each other)burner phones- those are prepaid cell phones- someone had loaned me one from here-- one of the teachers who adopted me. I FEEL SO Jason Bourne.  Lol   Someone had scared me off signing a contract here they say you can sign a contract but it just keeps on going and it’s hard to get out of them.  So we have burner phones.  I also went by to ask about the internet and phone- it seems that you pay one flat rate and you get a phone that you can call land lines for as long as you want and the internet.  I’m setting that up next week so it will be in our house when we move in--I cant do without my internet. I’m checking these things off one by one.

Gregg has had a time with the packers it seems that they double booked our move so one called the house phone and one on his cell phone at the same time so he put the two phones together and put them on speaker and said you two moving companies figure it out which they did. They split the chore. One is doing the quick shipment and one the long shipment. It's the little things that make you smile.

I went to a high school football game this Friday.  It was like watching a football game with the Sound of Music hills in the background.  I wanted to break out in song-  “the hills are alive with the sound of music…”  but I contained myself.  Lol

Saturday, I went to the thrift store- that is where the people leaving put their stuff up for sale like a big garage sale all in one place.  I bought 220 appliance, iron, mixer, coffee maker, dell printer, extension cords, a couple of adapters, hair dryer all for 26 dollars pretty cheap huh?

Also,I moved to a suite in the hotel this week.  I was in a one room place and now I have a living room and kitchen much nicer and more than one chair and a living room set.  I was just glad for the cushioned seats and a place to sit and eat. And my butt thanks me, too.

This morning, I went to church and they had a real nice service centered around 9/11- it was a very moving service especially with the soldiers in the service.

I have ventured out and got set up for Zumba classes- Peggy you would be proud. 

Anyway that is about all this week- hope you guys have a nice next week. I ought to have some good pictures next week- I’m going to Munich for Oktoberfest—

Until next time.
Hugs from Germany,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment