Sunday, December 4, 2011

Germany Week 15- Military Police and German movie theater and yes another Christkindlmarkt ( street markets)


Germany Week 15- Military Police and German movie theater and yes another Christkindlmarkt ( street markets)
Dear all:
Monday, since I was by myself, I decided to go the autobahn to work-that was a  good choice for all days, but I decided to go through another gate to the post, bad choice.  I had my first ( and hopefully my last) fender bender, I was impatient about one line and thought I was the last car and the other line had cleared out.  So I proceeded to back up and hit the car behind me.  In my defense, I think he was looking for his ID because he was to my right an odd place to be since the road curved from the left so I did not see him at all.  Anyway, I got out he got out. The MP’s were called and before all was said and done he left before they came ( don't ask  I couldn't figure that one out either) and left me to give all information and go to the MP station to do the police report. An ominous place with a real jail- don’t want to get thrown in there-makes me shudder to think.  Baby car suffered a little scrape that is so minuscule that I probably won’t get it fixed. Since then no mishaps, keeping my fingers crossed.
This past Friday, I went to the tree lighting ceremony at the post.  Arriving by a fire truck with much grandeur were Santa, Mrs. Claus, the reindeer, elves and a little girl who lit the tree whose father was deployed.  With all of the soldiers the true meaning of Christmas shone though. 
Then I went with a friend to a real German theater to see Breaking Dawn in English.  They listed it as the OV  which means Original Version.  It was great and not too crowded.  It was a huge complex and when you buy your ticket you have to select seats so it’s like a football game, assigned seats, no first come first serve.  I kind of liked that but it did slow the lines so I can see why America doesn’t do it.
Yesterday I went to the school’s basketball games, they were lots of fun.  They ran four games in a row, but with that many games, it was a long day.  Afterwards, I went with a couple of ladies from work to another Christkindlmarkt ( street market).  This one had a medieval theme.  Everyone was dressed in medieval costume.  There were camels and ponies and the wares were mostly of the handmade variety.  I have to admit I spent a little money. J  The prices were reasonable and the items were authentic, a combination I find too hard to resist. There was also a reenactment of the nativity story, very interesting and with the costumes and camels it seemed very real. Lots of woodwork and wreaths and things made from natural sources.  There is also the Christmas wine at all of these street markets that you pay for the cup and then get refills over and over again.  The Germans love to drink beer and wine.
I went to the Post's movie theater today.  Lots different, only a couple of previews because they only show 2-3 new movies at a time.  Also you stand up for the National Anthem at the beginning- course I like that part.
I am looking forward to coming home in a couple of weeks. And with that I will close.  Hope you all have a great week.
Hugs from Germany,
Susan







No comments:

Post a Comment