Sunday, November 6, 2011

Week 11- Berlin, unaccompanied baggage, good bye to Explorer


Week 11-Berlin, unaccompanied baggage, goodbye to Explorer
Hello from Germany:
I am sitting here on Sunday afternoon looking out of the window at the most beautiful day, the sun is shining and all seems right with the world.  I just got off of Skype with my son who showed me my 19 year old dog; Maggie, who it seems has had quite an adventure for herself.  She fell at the beginning of the week and has since recovered from the mishap, but it scared my son.  She also got lost at the edge of our yard since she is deaf and blind. So she was picked up by an elderly neighbor and turned into the dog pound.  My son, ever diligent, put a notice out and found out that Maggie,  was at the pound so suffice to say I was glad to see her on the Skype today all safe and sound.  We saw the party held at our house last Friday night from a facebook posted picture and I commented on the picture--nice house. Hey- it's still standing or was last Friday.  lol  But really my son is doing a great job holding down the fort.  Anyway enough about the home front.
Our unaccompanied luggage did make it Monday.  As we are opening up box after box of stuff we finally look at each other and say “Why did we bring this?” We had to laugh.  I don’t know if we thought we were coming to a third world country where they would have nothing that we like but we have enough Bisquick to feed an army and deodorant and soap for a year and enough Tylenol and Nyquil to stock a small pharmacy.  Lol  But anyway we did get all of the baggage put away just in time for us to start all over again with the furniture and notices of its imminent delivery sent to the elusive      needanemail@yahoo.com.  Lol- But I am confident that we will get it before ---hmmm-- next summer…lol
We sent the Explorer back to the USA and we are depending on baby car to make it.  Family is coming soon to visit which makes me happy.  I’d be happier if I had my furniture but we have enough like beds and such on loan from the government.  I am so looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and family time.  I took off the two Mondays after Veteran's Day to spend time with the family.  I am allowed to take three days a year no questions asked.  That is pretty nice.
Saturday we went to Berlin.  It was loads of fun.  We boarded the post bus and spent 6 hours getting there.  We had a 2 hour city tour as soon as we arrived and the guide told us of all of the sites.  Below are pictures of one of the many museums(picture 6), a cathedral(picture 5), remnants of the wall ( picture 2), Checkpoint Charlie (picture 3)and my passport stamped with Checkpoint Charlie stamps(picture 4), the memorial for the European Jewish people killed in the war ( picture 1)and a gorgeous shot of Berlin at night( picture 7).  We bought remnants of the wall to bring home and went to a street market.  We also visited a museum that had a 360 degree view of Greek life.  Awesome!! There were statues of Greek gods and Gregg and I both commented as we toured the museum with its many containers of remnants of historical statues that it looked like Raiders of the Lost Ark and we fully expected to see Harrison Ford whip his whip at any moment. At one point,  I heard a commotion and turned to find Gregg walking away with his hands in his pockets trying to look innocent.  I said what happened and he said that he had accidentally tripped some guy and the guy fell into one of the 2500+ year old statues.  Fortunately, the statues are so enormous nothing happened.  Whew!!  I would have hated reading about us in the paper. The cathedral was fabulous and we walked the 191 steps up and 191 down (Gregg counted them ha-ha) to walk the dome.  We stopped at Checkpoint Charlie and took our picture and I got my passport stamped with about 12 stamps.  It was cool. There were only remnants of the wall left.  We spent most of our time in East Berlin.  The city has been rebuilt after the war and is modernized.  The guide was very poignant when talking of the holocaust and just as appalled when talking of Hitler.  It was a hard time for Germany.  Visiting this town was a great highlight on my time abroad.
Looking forward to family.  Maybe it is the holidays but I am really missing home.  With that, I will close for this week.  Till next time, have a great week.
Hugs from Germany.
Susan







No comments:

Post a Comment