Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Germany Week 12 (Part 3) Rome ( nuff said)


Germany Week 12 (Part 3)  Rome  ( nuff said)
Hello all,
Friday night we came back from Austria and our 100 dollar taxi ride and because we had to leave at 6am on the train I decided not to go to sleep. So on the train to the Munich west I dozed on and off.  We flew Ryan Air to Rome.  Fabulous airline—no frills, cheap, they loaded one group off and loaded us on-- all in about 10 minutes, unbelievable.
We arrived in Rome and I have to admit we were a little shocked.  Maybe it was coming from Austria and living in Germany where everything is ultra clean and neat but Rome was shockingly dirty and unkempt.  It reminded us of New York back in the days before Giuliani cleaned it up.
Well we took a bus to the center of town and caught a cab, only 10 blocks to our hotel.  Now this is the first time, I’ve strayed away from Best Western or Holiday Inns.  I can see there is a reason to stay with the name brands.  Lol  First of all the cab driver just dropped us in front of a huge wooden door.  The kind like the one on “Romancing the Stone”  where the drug dealer asked Joan Wilder to come in and hang out.  So I couldn’t get in it but noticed a small sign that read ‘Bed and Breakfast.’  I waited for a minute and then someone came out so I saw my opening and went in. It was like the movies of Italy the tall inside buildings with the windows looking out and clothes hanging on a line.  I found a young boy who directed me to another large locked door.  I knocked and a very friendly gentleman came out.  I went back down to get Gregg and we looked at the room.  It was named “The Colossal room” with a large king size bed and they had towels shaped like a heart- see picture.  I had my doubts but the price was right and I felt safe since we had to lock and unlock three huge doors to get in and out.  Of course we had to come in during the middle of the day to take a hot shower as in the morning time there was no hot water.  But as I always say if everything goes right then there wouldn’t be a good story to tell.
We took the hop on-- hop off bus and went to all the sights.  Unfortunately they are all so big that the best pictures are from the bus see below.  Getting too close distorts the picture.  I just can’t get it all in.
It was unbelievable seeing all of the ancient ruins and the Vatican City.  It is truly just like in the movies and postcards.  We ate at a few Italian restaurants and the food was great.  I bought my souvenirs and Gregg got to watch the FSU game on sling box since our bed and breakfast had internet connections.
The Colosseum of Rome, The Pantheon, the ruins and Vatican City--I don’t think I can do Rome justice by explaining it, the pictures will have to do my talking for me.  Enjoy.
Until next week.
Hugs from Germany
Susan












No comments:

Post a Comment