Sunday, June 10, 2012

Germany Week 42 Rothenburg o der tauber, Germany

Germany Week 42 Rothenburg o der tauber, Germany

Dear all:

The wind down is in full force. It consists of turning items in and getting cleared on various perks that I have been given this year.  We turned in our rations cards as we will not need those again.  We were rationed on tobacco, liquor and coffee.  The gas rationing card I will turn in this next week. I have cleaned out my school classroom of my personal stuff as we will be packed up this Wednesday.  We either sold or gave away a lot of stuff so our pack out is only one sixth of the poundage of what we are allowed to pack out. Of course we did that when we came too. We tried to live minimalistically while here.

On Saturday, we decided to visit Rothenburg o der tauber, a two hour train ride.  It was on everyone's lists so I figured there must be something there to see. We had to change train three times with 4 minute changes.  We finally mastered the train system and now it is time to go.  LOL Rothenburg was magical.  I loved it!! It is the eternal Christmas town and if you know me you know how I love Christmas.  So of course we bought lots of last minutes items, things I have wanted for a while.  Gregg was great carrying stuff around. We went to a museum that had a dungeon.  COOL!! We went down into the dungeon.  I have seen lots of castles but this was our first dungeon.  It was just as I had imagined--dark and ominous.  See the pictures below where we tried to put ourselves in the torture chamber of the stretcher but of course we couldn't hook our head and feet in so it looks kind of funny, but maybe you can get the drift anyway.  They also had a re-creation of the alchemist's laboratory where he used snakes, turtles and various other animals to make medicines and I am sure poisons.  Remember Romeo and Juliet.

We walked the streets of this walled city -- see the pictures below and it was  beautiful.  We ate out on the street for breakfast and lunch and sitting on the street on this  beautiful day was such a nice way to spend our next to last Saturday in Germany.  Of course as you notice it is still jacket weather here.  One day last week at 3pm it was 53 degrees and the sun was shining.  I will be glad to return to warm weather.  People are killing me with their beach pictures on face book.  LOL

We met some people from New Zealand and had a great time talking to them.  I find it interesting talking to various people from other countries and hear their take on America.

This week will be busy with all of the last minute stuff.  With that I will close and get to some of it.
Till next week.

Hugs from Germany
Susan

 welcome

gate to enter

 Moat

 entrance

 street

breakfast on the street
 street

dungeon here and below


 museum armor

 alchemist  at museum
 Christmas car

 view from wall

 walled city

market  here and below



 Rothenburg teddy bear

sausage in window

 museum

making applesauce

 market

Rothenburg teddy bear

 market

 street view

No comments:

Post a Comment