Sunday, May 6, 2012

Week 37 Germany Volksfest and Poland

Week 37 Germany Volksfest and Poland
Dear all:
This week started off with a bang. Let's be real the German people won't let too much time go past without a celebration or reason to party.It seems that every year on post they have a German American Volksfest  which is basically a Fair. Since we missed the North Florida Fair and I have fond memories of growing up with the State Fair in Tampa and the Strawberry Festival in Plant City which I still go to on occasion, I was thrilled.  The biggest difference between our fair and this one was the presence of military tanks, etc.  They brought the World War II tanks and things to show to people.  It was fun  and although they did not have the corn dogs or the blooming onion they had their own delicacy which was a Donner made of pita bread and meat and a mayonnaise like sauce.  Gregg enjoyed it a lot.
Because it was Cinco De Mayo  the Outdoor Recreation decided to go to Poland.  Hey, it wasn't on my list, but  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Besides, I've already been to Barcelona. We went with the military trip to Poland and specifically in Boleslawiec, Poland which is located just across the border after going up and through Dresden, Germany.  We met the bus at 2am in the morning and traveled to Boleslawiec, Poland.  The only glitch was the 2 hour delay at the border.  It seems that the border patrol couldn't handle 4 buses at the same time so the line was long. Strange thing was when the bus driver got to the front of the line it took about 5 minutes and they never even looked a the bus.  Maybe some of those other buses looked suspect who knows.  It is Poland after all.  LOL
We arrived in the city and proceeded to go to three areas with about 5 or six stores at each.  Yes, I got caught up in the buying.  I bought a set of polish dishes and many other things.  They were great and accepted Euros.  I had a great time, came home with many treasures and got my shopping fix.
Gregg and I walked through the town, afterall there is just so much shopping you can do.  Poland is a poorer country but the people were out and about.  Needless to say there was no hop on hop off.  LOL Some of the buildings were in major disrepair.  Before we left we went to a restaurant and ordered Polish sausage, a large salad that was huge with yellow tomatoes and Hungarian goulash and a coke light and beer for Gregg.  It was one of the best meals we had ever had and only cost 10 bucks for it all.  So there is definitely something to be said about this city.
On a side note, my sister Judi went to the Kentucky Derby and I sent my pick of I'll have Another like I had sent my pick with my son, Thomas, when he went  to Las Vegas of Bubba Watson to win the Master's  I am doing pretty good on picking the winners. Gregg said to add that I wasn't doing that good since I picked him as a husband, but I repectfully disagree.  LOL
We are taking it easy today.  A rare thing for us.  Take care all.

Till next week. Hugs from Germany.

Susan


  Poland


 Volksfest

 A drive from our German home Canola yellow fields

 Donner sandwich at Fest

 Volksfest

 Volksfest

 Volksfest

 Our Yard in Germany

 Pottery in Poland

 Gregg in front of Poland store

 Poland

 Poland

 Inside the Polish church

 Poland here and below









No comments:

Post a Comment