Sunday, February 12, 2012

Germany week 25- Another 2 hour delay, snow, and more basketball


Germany week 25- Another 2 hour delay, snow, and more basketball
Dear all,
We did not get a chance to go anywhere this weekend as I had the marathon basketball again this weekend.
 We started off the week with a problem with the buses on Monday.  The bus diesel fuel froze because of the low temperatures and some would not start.  I had never heard of this , but of course I liam from Flordia. lol So classes were sparse, and then the next day they had a 2 hour delay to make sure the buses could start.  It was nice sleeping in.

On Saturday I looked up the temperature before I went to basketball.  The low was 9 degrees and it said it felt like - 7 below Fahrenheit whew you really have to bundle up for that kind of weather. Fortunately, our landlord had a new delivery of our heating oil  this week so we keep nice and warm in the house and also at school.
I attached a few snow pictures to the bottom so you could see how it was here.
We are definitely hibernating here in Germany.
I thought I'd share a story from the beginning of coming here.  The first week I was here I had gotten here so quickly that I did not have all of paperwork for me to get my ID.  You need an ID to do anything here.  Go to the commissary, get on base etc.  That was not a problem for me for the first couple of weeks as I did not leave base and was staying at the hotel.  But the Sunday afternoon the day before school started during planning I decided to go to the school to finish up.  I took my camera to take pictures of the school etc.  Unbeknownst to me taking pictures without permission is not allowed on a base.  So here I am after taking my pictures outside the school and then walking back to the hotel swinging my camera on my arm.  A security car pulled up beside me and me being so dumb I’m waving at them thhinking they are just being friendly.  lol They got out and wanted to look at my camera of pictures. Of course all that was on there was picture of my classroom and a couple of pictures outside the classroom but he made me delete them all.  Anyway the Military Police asked for my ID—I said well now that is another story.  I guess my story was so pathetic and I did have a passport that showed I had just gotten here and I was listed on the pass gate.  So the first week here I just about got thrown into the slammer.  But fortunately the crisis averted. Now that would have been a story. Lol
Another interesting fact is about getting a hunting and fishing license here in Germany.  First of all it is a long ordeal and you have to take classes and it takes about 6 months to get a hunting license.  There are of course many, many rules. You also are assigned a designated area for which you are responsible.  So if someone runs over a deer in your area, you have to go take care of it even if it is 3AM in the morning.  You are not allowed to run over animals here on the road without calling anyone unless it is a squirrel.  You have to call the authorities.  Needless to say it is just too hard to get the licenses so not many get them.  In addition in this extreme cold weather- it has been so cold over here—tragically we have read that 400 people have lost their lives  During this kind of cold, the hunter has to furnish bales of hay for the deer to eat.  So the hunter has a lot of responsibility. Neither Gregg or I will not be getting either of those licenses. Lol
With that I will close for this week. Have a great week.
Hugs from Germany!
Susan







No comments:

Post a Comment