Sunday, October 23, 2011

Week 9 Germany–Golden ticket, cold, birthday and castles

Week 9  Germany–Golden ticket, cold, birthday and castles
Hello all
Week 9 and I'm still kicking it in Bavaria, Germany.  The week started out with the elusive “golden ticket.”  Mail and birthday presents from home. It was full of lots of surprises including warm sweaters and leg coverings. Thanks family.  And since my kids are not real planners I am promised another “golden ticket” this week, but they wouldn’t tell me what they got so I’ll just be surprised.
People-- it got cold this week.  My back yard is full of frosty grass.  Brrr!!!!  Gregg is up scraping ice every morning.  Maybe time for those snow tires.  That ought to be a real experience for us Floridians. Lol
Saturday was my birthday.  I always love it when my birthday is on a weekend and being on a Saturday made it even sweeter.  Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone.  J I felt the wishes all the way over here on the other side of the world.  Gregg gave me new scarves for the cold, too.  I think everyone is worried I’ll freeze to death. Lol
Gregg took me to Ludwig’s castle complete with a horse drawn carriage.  It is located on the romantic road.  I had a very good day.  We toured Linderhof Castle first.  See the picture below.  It was one of Ludwig’s castles.  It was extremely ornate.  Inside he had made a pseudo Versailles room of mirrors by placing mirrors across from each other so it looked like the hall of mirrors.  Very cool! We then went to a few cities including the Brothers Grimm’s hometown and Oberarnagau which is home of the Passion play performed every ten years.  Our last stop was the Cinderella Castle.  It is called the Royal Castle Neuschwanstein.  See below.  It was great and Ludwig was pretty technologically advanced since he had a phone- granted he could only call his other castle and the post office but in his defense there were probably not many people interested in talking trash to Ludwig back then. Lol He also made a battery that ran his bell system and had a fireplace that centrally heated his castle.  Pretty progressive for the 1800s.
Loved the Austrian Alps. See picture.  It is beautiful here.  Sheep and cattle sprinkled the hillside.  I will remember the countryside here with it green pastures forever. With that, I will close.  Have a great week.
Hugs from Germany,
Susan





No comments:

Post a Comment